EAP 1 WRITER’S WORKSHOP
CORE: SMOKING SURVEY
FRIDAY, JULY 31, 2009
Smoking in USA
I – INTRODUCTION
I think that people tend to be smokers because of stress and maybe they know what it causes but they do not care about it. They continue smoking. Of that problem people have many diseases and they died just because of smoking (Seal, 1998). Other people know that, but they do not care about the effects. So, many people died because of this. But many people survived, but now they have asthma. So, people who had survived will never smoke again.
II – PURPOSE
The reasons for doing this survey is that we wanted to know how many people smoke in Carbondale or in Southern Illinois University. We put this survey just for smokers. And that is because we want to find out what are the reasons people smoke, but we wanted other people to know the effects of smoking. Our group is K. Urdaneta, W. Chin, Y. Ababatin, and F. Al Alqassab.
III – HYPOTHESIS
I expected that many people are smokers, but nobody tried to quit, but the results show different because a few people tried to quit but they did not. Also, I expected that people would smoke because of the stress and too much studying, and of course because of the exams. People like to smoke because they want to relax and they want to have fun.
IV – MATERIALS
We put six questions on our survey because we wanted to learn about them and why they are smoking. These questions are about whether smokers ever tried to stop smoking and how often they smoke. How do they feel when they smoke? So, our point is we put questions just for smokers and tried to learn why they are smoking.
V – METHODS
We found about 20 students. Some of them were in the Student Center and in Faner Hall. People felt happy when they filled those survey papers. So, I went to the Student Center in the first place because it was crowded with students maybe smokers or maybe not. The results were surprising because there were different than I was expected.
VI – DATA (APPENDIX A)
VII – RESULTS
According to our charts, we found that 70% of smokers had tried to quit. Also, we found that many people smoke every day, with percentage of 90%, and the other 10% of people smoke just once or twice a week. People actually feel relaxed when they smoke with the percentage of 37%, others feel satisfied with 19%, but the other such as people who are nervous and because of bad smell are the same percentage of 22%. We found that people smoke when they feel stress, which is a problem because it was the highest percentage of 41%. So, these people smoke mostly with other people like friends.
VIII – CONCLUSION AND DISCUSSION
Well, my hypothesis was a little bit different from the results, because I expected different answers like positive way such as people hate smoking, but there were many smokers. I learned that people like to smoke because of problems that they have. The results were similar in one way it was people smoke because of their stress, and the others were completely different. In the next survey I will put different questions, questions that will make me learn more about smokers. So, I learn a lot of them.
IX – REFERENCE
Seal, B. (1998). Smoking. In Academic Encounters: Human behavior. pp. 31–33. New York:
Cambridge University Press.
X – APPENDIX B